| Home | E-Submission | Sitemap | Contact Us |  

The Korean Journal of Pathology 1981;15(2): 110-118.
Gas Liquid Chromatography를 이용한 혐기성 세균의 동정 및 혐기성 세균 감염에 관한 연구
Studies on Anaerobe Infection: Use of Gas Liquid Chromatography for Anaerobe Identification
ABSTRACT
Anaerobic bacteria are organisms that could grow only in the abscence of free oxygen. Therefore it is very difficult to culture the organisms. Anaerobic infections are often neglected not only because of the difficulty of cultivation but also of identification which require analysis of fattyacids. As the isolates in Korea have not been subjected to fatty acid analysis, our knowledge in anaerobe infections are very limited. This study was conducted to identify clinical isolates of anaerobes accurately with the use of gas liquid chromatography(GLC) and to determine the relationship between anaerobe species and the infection. Clinical specimens obtained at YUMC during the period of September 1979-August 1980 were cultured anaerobically and the anaerobes isolated were identified with GLC if necessary. Clinical conditions were reviewed retrospectively. Following results were obtained. 1) A total of 342 anaerobic organisms were isolated from 282 clinical specimens. Most frequently isolated anaerobes were Pc. asaccharolyticus, Ps. anaerobius, S. intermedius, Cl. perfringens, B. fragilis and B. melaninogenicus. 2) Anaerobes were most frequently isolated from specimens of thorax, abdomen and soft tissue wound. 3) With the review of 118 available patients' records, it was found that most frequent clinical conditions were appendicitis with peritonitis, wound infection following GIT cancer surgery, empyema, lung abscess, and infection of umblicus of new-torn and soft tissues. 4) Only 18.4% of the specimens yielded anaerobes alone, and the remaining 81.6% yielded both anaerobes mixed with aerobes. 5) With the use of GLC, up to 94.4% and 94.1% of isolates unidentifiable by conventional methods, were satisfactorily identified during the periods of September 1979-May 1980 and June 1980-August 1980 respectively.
TOOLS
PDF Links  PDF Links
Full text via DOI  Full text via DOI
Download Citation  Download Citation
CrossRef TDM  CrossRef TDM
  E-Mail
Share:      
METRICS
834
View
10
Download
Related article